Need some inspiration for how to bring more fun to your backyard? We’re here to help! We’ve compiled a list of a variety of toys, for the kids AND adults, with a short review and our top picks in each category. Take a look, and we hope these dog days of winter don’t get you down. The time for backyard fun will be here before you know it!
Click below to jump to the toy you’d most like to know more about.
If trampolines are the way you want to go when adding zest to your backyard, we’ve got a review of the top 3 rectangle trampolines here. They provide hours of fun and can be used to train for gymnastics, snowboarding, and so much more!
1. Upper Bounce
Our top pick, Upper Bounce is quality all the way through from its thick foam padding to its 8-row stitching on the jumping mat. It comes in sizes ranging from 7.5-16 feet. If you have the space, the 16 foot option would be our recommendation, with plenty of room for jumping!
- Eight row stitching provides a sturdy jumping base – a standout feature because it provides durability for the mat in a way many other brands don’t. This is great if you’ve got multiple kids who plan to jump at the same time.
- Five size options allowing you to find the perfect fit for your backyard space.
- It’s made to hold up to 330 lbs, allowing parents and kids to jump together!
- Easy to assemble and disassemble if you’d like to take it down through the winter.
- High quality for a great price. If you’re looking for affordability without skimping on quality, then Upper Bounce offers both.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
2. Skywalker Trampoline
This is not just any trampoline. It’s enclosed with the added bonus of the “jump and dunk.” Half the neighborhood kids want to jump on the trampoline while the other half want to play basketball? This trampoline has you covered for both! Plus, it’s enclosed, which is a great safety feature as well as an easy way to keep that basketball from flying all over the yard.
- Comes in 3 sizes (8′, 12′, and 15′).
- Can hold up to 200lbs on the larger sizes.
- Assembly is straightforward and fairly quick. You could be finished and jumping in about two hours.
- The enclosure net attaches to the jumping mat so that there aren’t those pesky gaps for kids to slip through.
- The hoop is attached by velcro so that it won’t damage the net while playing.
With its sturdy, sleek design, this is another great option for trampolines. There are four sizes from which to choose, and like the other models listed, this one is enclosed. The easy set up will have you jumping in no time!
- Quick and easy assembly.
- Flex poles that keep your enclosure stable and durable. This is something different from other brands that typically have straight steel poles to hold the enclosure netting. Skytric’s poles are bent at the top to more firmly hold the net upright if kids fall into it.
- Thick foam covers to protect little feet from slipping through the springs and are also extra shock-absorbent to cushion those accidental wild landings.
- The frame is galvanized steel and powder-coated, which means the frame is rust-resistant and ready to weather the elements without becoming tarnished too quickly.
- Longer springs give it a great bounce.
1. Silverback NXT Portable Hoop
This is our recommended basketball goal. It’s a real stunner, with its easy portability and infinity edge backboard. All you need are a couple of friends, and you’re ready to play.
- 50″ backboard made with the infinity edge provides a really sleek look.
- “Stabili-frame” is a steel connection between the base and backboard. It provides extra strength for those hardcore games or your dunk contests.
- Easy to move, with its design that mimics a wheelbarrow.
- You can have it assembled in under 2 hours – parts are labeled well and instructions are clear.
This beauty is designed for the ultimate competitors. Hybrid refers to the base that allows you to combine sand and water for maximum stability. It holds 19 gallons of water and 200lbs of either sand or gravel. Plus, it’s easy open and removable lid makes for simple storage.
- 54″ acrylic backboard
- Steel frame trimmed in aluminum gives this goal and added sturdiness.
- Height can adjust from 7.5 feet to 10′, which means fun for the whole family, younger kiddos included.
- Breakaway rim for those monster dunks
We don’t have a top recommendation here. Instead, we’re listing some great games that you can enjoy with the whole family. Whether you want something to travel with or something to have set up year-round, we’ve got options!
The tailgater in your life would love this at their next game! This set is regulation size (24″x48″) and comes with two boards that include handles for easy portability, eight bags, and the rules. Boards are made of MDF and surrounded by an aluminum frame. Bags are made of canvas and filled with all weather plastic, which makes them water resistant – perfect for playing in any condition.
There’s a hinge on the board that may have you concerned about how the bags will be affected when tossed, but it doesn’t disrupt the game playing at all. Bags slide right over it easily, and even constructed of the light MDF, these are sturdy and don’t cause any extra bounce.
2. Zume Badminton Set
Grandma’s house could use a little something for the kids to enjoy during all those family gatherings. Why not gift her with this badminton set? It’s the perfect game for ages 6+ to play! The portable set allows you to quickly put it up and take it down so that it’s not out unless you want it to be. Win for grandma, win for the kiddos.
The set comes with four rackets, two shuttlecocks (that’s the fancy term for those little flying birdies), the net, and a carrying case. The carrying case is conveniently the base for the net. It’s reasonably priced for it’s quality, and there’s just so much fun to be had. Go ahead, get one or a few!
Now, you may be thinking – that’s not a game; that’s a practice net. But hear me out. Think of this as both. Your daughter dreaming to be Mia Hamm can kick to her heart’s content as she practices her craft. Then, four of her friends are over, now it’s more like a game of racketball with a soccer ball. Hours of fun AND practice! Who doesn’t like a twofer?
Let’s talk features:
- 40 square feet of space
- Can be used for lacrosse, soccer, or baseball practice
- Ball rebounds at game-time speeds
- Can be adjusted to 7 different angles, allowing fielders and goalies alike to train
- Pro-players rely on this net to train and practice
- Made from aluminum that’s aircraft grade
- Sets up quickly (5 minutes)
- And the details: it’s 5’x8’x4′ set up and weighs 35lbs
So if you’ve got a future star athlete in your house, or you just want a fun and new way to train for those intramural games, this is your toy.